Encouraging Cooperation

Started by Smithque, July 02, 2018, 09:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smithque

Your name: SmithRussia

Suggestion: Implement a system that would make people benefit from helping others with their projects.

Why should we add this? This is something that must be done in order to increase activity on the server's core and stated purpose: machinima. Despite the server's name, people who join it are almost unanimously occupied with other things. When actual machinimists come around, they need a human cast as scripted actors can not always come to help with their limitations. However, very few people are ready to go out of their way to be there for them. I have experienced this myself a lot. Even though this has helped machinimists boost resourcefulness and come to most unexpected solutions such as extremely odd camera angles, it would be really nice of us if we provided people with a mechanism to hire actors.

Possible solution: Now, my proposition is very preliminary and imperfect, but I just want to lay it out so that discussion commence. The first solution that has occurred to me is to give people score for participating in other players' productions. The machinimist would have to "hire" the actor with a command, which would automatically add them into the machinimist's group and teleport them into the recording world and location.

Pros & Cons:

+ People will be more likely to help movie makers, which helps what our server considers its main mission.
+ A new and arguably interesting way of accumulating score will become available to our playerbase.

There is no coherent response as to how actors will receive score and whether the machinimist will have to "pay" it to them.
If the server gives out score, such a system might be prone to corruption, and constant admin surveillance will be necessary.
If the machinimist is to "pay" their actors, unnecessary inequality between server insiders and newcomers will be created.

Anyway, your feedback is appreciated. The community is encouraged to jump in. We might come to a plausible solution to this, after all.

Sajugs

:D you posted this cuz you couldn't get any actors for yourself at 1 am with 15 players ingame :D

Anyhoo, to the actual suggestion. The problem with this is that most players who are occupied with other things rather than helping people record won't care for the score they might get from it. It's just the reality, most people come here to freeroam/DM/test stuff. The people more likely to help others are the regulars, such as SkypeerFox, Eternity, BodyBuilder and the admin team. It might not be a lot, but often it is enough. Just earlier today somebody needed an actor and me, Skypeer and Eternity were down to help him and so we did.

Also, what you're suggesting can already be done - just have the movie creator /givescore to the actors he's recruiting. If anyone is actually interested in that, that is.

I don't really see how this system would work out at all, and I don't really have any alternative ideas sadly. I guess the movie creators can just bring their friends & or set up a certain time when to record.

Smithque

Quote from: Sajugs on July 02, 2018, 09:56:14 PM
:D you posted this cuz you couldn't get any actors for yourself at 1 am with 15 players ingame :D
That be true — even though there were more like close to 30 players. :P

Quote from: Sajugs on July 02, 2018, 09:56:14 PM
Also, what you're suggesting can already be done - just have the movie creator /givescore to the actors he's recruiting. If anyone is actually interested in that, that is.
Didn't think about that, did I? Now that I have, the only instance where this would make sense is when it's the server that's responsible. However, as stated, admin presence will be necessary and we just demoted another staff member for inactivity. Ew...

I guess this will have to be L&A'ed. And I'll be collecting score for future production, too! xD

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk